From the Merriam Webster Dictionary:
2: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this
- Every living thing is empathic to some extent because empathy is one of the oldest forms of non-verbal communication. Scientists speculate that humans or “Homo Erectus” started talking about 100,000 years ago, but they can’t decide if language began as soon as the human brain became big enough, or if it developed slowly over time.
- If you have a pet chances are that you have developed better empathic skills than the typical non-pet owner because animals are better empaths than humans and pets have a tendency to “teach” their owners a thing or two.
- You are most empathic when you are a baby before you say your first words. The ability then fades because language is used as a replacement but it does not go away and it can be enhanced through meditation.
- People who have a connection to plants and nature also tend to be more empathic. While some literally “talk” to their plants to help them grow, others naturally give their plants energy and attention and the difference in plant growth is tangible.
- Psychics and mediums can be painfully empathic as a side effect of their ability to communicate with disembodied spirits, elementals, angels, demons, fairies, etc …
While the ability to communicate non-verbally with everything can be a gift, the inability to “turn it off” at will can be maddening and at the very least uncomfortable. In my case I was already super tense after the volleys between Trump and Kim Jong Un that I had a persistent ache in the pit of my stomach. But after the riots in Charlottesville I literally felt like I was about to throw up for days. I felt the hodge podge of fear, despair and rage in waves and I had to force myself to not look at the news. Meanwhile, places that had large concentrations of people like the grocery store, Walmart, or the mall were stricly off limits until things settled down on the surface.
Feeling Overwhelmed: Feelings of being overcome or overwhelmed literally came out of the blue. News sites showed me what I was reacting to and that helped me sort out my true feelings from what emotions I was being bombarded with.
Upset Stomach: The stomach is where most people carry their emotions. It is no coincidence that we call our most important feelings as “a gut feeling.” My gut was suffering under the weight of the public emotional outpouring of reactions to a possible nuclear war and the threat of rampant racism.
Nausea: As tensions mounted I literally felt like I was having chronic morning sickness. It took a day for me to get over feeling like I wanted to vomit every hour.
Anxiety and Depression: As a result of a combination of all the symptoms mentioned above, I began to get anxious and depressed.
Chronic Fatigue: My body reacted by slowing down and the best medicine for me was to nap for hours in order to “make it go away” because in sleep and through dreams I was able to release a lot of psychic tension.
Sharing What I’ve Learned
Just as the madness was breaking out on the newsfeeds I saw a lot of ads for classes and I was astonished at the amount of woo and silliness people were trying to push on suffering empaths around the globe. So, I decided that I would freely share what I do from day to day to cope with the chaos.
- Feeling Overwhelmed/Grounding: I am fortunate to live in a pretty little witchy house at the foot of the mountains. Every morning before I water my little potted patio garden filled with herbs and roses I take off my shoes. I spend a lot of my time barefoot in the garden which allows my tension to be released through the bottoms of my feet. I refocus my attention on my plants and ask them to take away my tension. During the worst times I put my hands on my little ficus tree and imagine my energy going down through the trunk of to tree into the Earth.
- Upset Stomach & Nausea/Ginger Everything: While I wish I had enough time to peel, crush and grind fresh ginger root into a tea every day, I’m far too busy for that. Making fresh ginger tea is a luxury, so I stock up on ginger ale, ginger chews (candy) and ginger snaps (my favorite cookie) so I have something quick and easy to help me calm my stomach and alleviate my nausea.
- My friends and favorite tv shows as well as meditation/Anxiety and Depression: I meditate and do mantra at least 20 minutes every day. Sometimes I may get lost in it for up to an hour because being in alpha state feels great. However, there is nothing like a convo with a good friend or an episode of “Game of Thrones” to pull me out of a funk. John Oliver has been good for my soul. And frankly, I miss Jon Stewart. Jon Stewart was my comedy shaman who cured all ills.
- Naps and Early Bed Times/Chronic Fatigue: When all else failed I am sooooo grateful to be working primarily from home. I have the luxury of taking a nap whenever I feel the need. When I am working outside of my domestic sanctuary of peace and chocolate I come home with take out, or nuke an organic microwave dinner and drop off to sleep no matter who early it is.
Emergency Empath Hacks
- Wearing Amber and Black Tourmaline jewelry to seal up my aura.
- Taking cleansing baths in epsom salts and baking soda.
- Playing my favorite music to raise the vibe and drown out everything else. (Amy Winehouse has saved my life.)
If you would like to book a reading, a service of buy a candle please go to my website:
You can follow me on facebook:
Many of you are experiencing a strange combination of fear and heightened anxiety that began with the penumbral eclipse on February 10, 2017. Eclipses usually signal endings or beginnings and so some of you are in shock as some things, jobs, possessions and relationships have been “taken away.” In the wake of those losses some of you are confused, hurt and in shock. It’s alright. You are not alone. In fact there are more people having the same kinds of experiences. So let go of the idea that these radical changes are happening only to you.
While some astrologers have advised you to focus on more grounding others have recommended that you stay loose and fluid. In my case I have had to ground AND become more flexible depending upon the situation and believe me, there have been several. The most obvious one is the landfall of the tropical storm – Lucifer. I live in the Los Angeles area at the base of the mountains. As the water poured off the mountain and ran down the streets past our tiny cottage in torrents our power and internet flickered off an on like blinking Christmas lights. Outside trees were being uprooted and toppled like match sticks. Inside me and my chihuahua Fifi weathered the storm by candle light and I caught up with some reading.
What I have discovered is that the best way to manage this chaos is to connect with the element of my astrological sign. Each sign of the zodiac is governed by an element.
In my case I am a triple Libra. Libra is governed by the element of air. As the winds outside my window lashed the trees and scattered the rain, I connected with the element of air and put my intent in that element to remove my confusion, doubt and anxiety. Today as the storm has lifted, if only for a few hours, I feel calm, clear and refreshed, like a valley that has had the pollutants in the Air purified by a raging storm. The other air signs are Gemini and Aquarius.
The water signs: Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces have been experiencing heavy emotional ups and downs. Likewise, if water is featured strongly in your chart you too may be experiencing sudden outbursts of tears or resurfacing emotions that you thought had healed long ago. My advice is to meditate on the image of a calm pool of water. Mastery of the main element connected to you will give you clarity. Remember, the waters in a pond can be murky if the water is stirred, but clear when the water is still and the debris is allowed to sink to the bottom. Allow your emotional, mental and physical “debris” to sink. Meditation is a great way to do that.
The fire signs: Leo, Aries and Sagittarius seem to be experiencing trans-formative incidents of sudden clarity about a situation, freedom from situations that bind them and better health. Allow your fires to burn brightly. Fire gives light or “clarity.” Fire burns away trash or debris. Fire can reignite your life force and give you back the vigor that you thought that you may have lost. Like the mythical phoenix, allow yourself to be reborn as you rise from your own ashes. Be more aware of your solar plexus, which correlates to the element of fire and be aware of what you feel in that chakra. If you are suffering from too much heartburn drink plenty of aloe vera juice and watch your diet. The discomfort will pass.
The earth signs: Virgo, Capricorn and Taurus seem to be experiencing major changes in the material world. I’m not just talking about wealth and prosperity, but your body itself which is made up of the elements of Mother Earth. For you, remember that the Earth is a fertile planet. Whatever you may have lost can bloom again, in a better and more nourishing “soil” if you take better care of your body, mind and spirit which are the fertile grounds from which your dreams and aspirations can grow and bloom. Meditation with crystals, any crystals will replace any uncertainty with security.
To book a reading or a healing please go to http://www.mariebargas.com
Please watch this testimonial here: